Well, this past week we have been having our first semester assessments, and the weeks leading up to that have been pretty stressful! I'm pleased to say that I passed mine, and am currently at a high 2:2, with the possibility of going up to a 2:1! So if I really push myself to create some really good images this next semester, I would like to think that I could get a 2:1.
Anyway, I just wanted to do a post to update on what I worked on during semester 1. If you read my previous post, then you'll know we could choose what we wanted to do for this semester (and the next). To get myself back into it, I started the Penguin Design Awards 2013, creating a book jacket for The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame. I posted some pictures from my sketchbook in this last post, but I have now finished the final piece for this. I would like to post it, but as it is a competition, and I am currently planning on entering it, I'm slightly hesitant to, due to copyright, and whether there are any rules to this sort of thing. To be on the safe side, I will post the final piece after the competition deadline, which is 9th April 2013.
From here, I went on to design three full bleed illustrations for The Wind in the Willows story:
My particular favourite from this set is the second image; Badger's house; the colour scheme, and the tree house really stand out to me.
After finishing these, I went back to a project I did in the second year, Creepy Crawly Facts. I researched some more facts about insects and bugs, and started illustrated them. I felt that this was one of my strongest projects from last year, and my tutors agreed, so I decided to revisit it, and see where it took me. For assessment, I just produced five spot illustrations, but I will develop this even more in the next semester. I will make these into a picture book for preschool age child. The five illustrations I created were:
I would say that the top three are my favourite, and the bottom one (the worms), are my least. As I said, I will develop this idea to create a picture book in the next semester, and I will let you know more about that as it comes along.
So that's it for now. These are what I produced for the first semester, and I will post my Wind in the Willows book jacket as soon as I can. Any feedback would be greatly received.