Friday 20 January 2012

Reliving my childhood...

Now, I didn't know that I wanted to be a children's illustrator until I was choosing universities and courses. But, now, I am surprised at how things keep popping up that should have made me realise a long time ago. For instance, now that we in the midst of assessments, we have been given two briefs to complete while we don't have any contact time with the tutors. One of these briefs are based on the Caldecott Medal competition. When I was a child, we always used to go to the Heritage Centre in the town, and there they had various displays, and even a mini-gallery on the work of Randolph Caldecott (he spent quite a bit of time working in Whitchurch, and used some of the buildings in his work). It never clicked until I was researching Caldecott's work on the internet, and I came across the picture below, which is my most memorable piece, and I realised that this was a massive part of my childhood, and seeing his work has taken me right back to when I was younger, when I spend hours playing around with the various games/attractions on display, and reading about Randolph Caldecott and Sir Edward German. The good thing about it is, the Heritage Centre is still up and running today, and I think, the Caldecott gallery is still there, so I will be able to get some very good first-hand reference for this brief. I know what I'll be doing either this weekend or next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment