Friday 17 February 2012

Caldecott rough

So, I have previously mentioned that we have been given a brief to illustrate a text that has been illustrated by Randolph Caldecott. I chose 'The House that Jack Built,' and chose the verse: "This is the Cat, That killed the Rat, That ate the Malt, That lay in the house that Jack built." After designing a initial idea, and having a group crit on it, I was advised to concentrate more on the narrative. During another feedback, I was told that some of my images/designs can seem quite naive and too simple. If I am to carry on working in a simple style, then I need something that will make me more quirky and original. From this feedback, I went away and designed another rough for the rhyme, and it was (finally) okayed. So, here it is...

This is the Cat, 
That killed the Rat,
That ate the Malt,
That lay in the house that Jack built.

I know it still looks quite simple, but I plan to change this, when I add media/colour. I am planning to use a collage effect, making the most out of pattern etc.

Final piece coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment