Saturday 27 November 2010

My First Blog!! & An Intro to Me

Hi! Thanks for looking at my blog. This is my very first entry, so feel very honoured if you're reading this!


Just to tell you a bit about myself. As you've probably guessed, my name's Laura. I am a first year student at the North Wales School of Art and Design, studying for a degree in Illustration for Children's Publishing. It is very different from the sorts of things I am used to, I think this is due to the fact that I came straight from an A-Level course, whereas a lot of other students on my course have completed an art foundation course, but I am coping. Sure, the work load gets very stressful, but I keep reminding myself that it will be worth it in the end  :)
Apart from this, I am enjoying the course, and have loved some of the things we have been doing, but also hated some briefs. 


We have now finished Module 1, and started Module 2 this week. Just a few of the assignments I was given at the beginning of the course:
An architecture assignment (drawing a list of buildings in Wrexham), which I really liked because I realised just how much goes into making a building, not just bricks and cement; People in Wrexham assignment, which was OK, I don't really like drawing people, especially portraits, but this wasn't that bad; Build a 3D city (based on the architecture assignment), this brought out the technical side to art, and made us think a lot about composition and nicely brought together the last 2 assignments; and getting to grips with Photoshop and Illustrator (both of which I have never used, and not very good with at all :( Another thing that will take time and PATIENCE, I suppose). We were also given an animation brief, and this is the assignment that I really disliked!! We had to create an animation based on the building studies we had completed for the architecture assignment. I ended up completing a zoetrope strip. I don't know why, but I really didn't like it. It didn't agree with me.


ANYWAY, we also made our own sketchbook, which I LOVED making!!! From cutting the pages to size, to binding them together with cotton and needle, and through to making the hardback cover. Even though it was a bit head-frazzling at first with all the instructions, once I got the hang of it, I loved it!! I definitely plan to carry on with this, (that is when I have any spare time!).

No comments:

Post a Comment